An Irish Saying?

Hi everybody, I would like to ask for an Irish Saying I heard few years ago. Someone told it to me but I didn't get the meaning. It was "you have been with the dogs latetly". When I asked for the meaning, they denied saying it, I think it's because it's quite rude. Can you help me? Thanks

8 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 década
    Respuesta favorita

My dad used to say this regularly to us kids. One day, I plucked up the courage to ask him what it meant, and he told me, that where he came from in Ireland, they were mainly catholics, but there were a few practicing protestants everyone called "proddy dogs", and it was a definite "no no" to hang around with the "proddy dogs" So when my dad said it to us, he was accusing us of hanging around with people we shouldn't be with. But I don't know whether that was just the part of Ireland my Father came from.

• Sasha
    Lv 7
    hace 1 década

Hi, Sasha here from Dublin Ireland.

Well If you have been lying with the dogs lately, usually means you look scruffy. Sorry Buddy but thats the truth.

I am sure they were only joking or probably had too much drink taken. D'ont dwell on it Alex R. Life is too short. Take care and the luck of the Irish too you. There thats a nice Irish saying. We're not all cruel. Sasha XXXXXX

• hace 1 década

Im Irish. It could mean "if u lie with the dogs u get fleas" meaning your in very bad company or hangin round with scumbags. Or it could mean u look a bit rough or hungover. "Drinkin the hair off the dog" means having an eye opener drink to cure a hangover.

• hace 1 década

im irish and i dont think i've heard this one before ,maybe something like the saying "if you lie down with dogs you 'll get up with fleas" in other words "you are hanging around with the wrong people"

• ¿Qué te parecen las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar la respuesta.
  • hace 1 década

ive read the other answers and it seems that it means youre looking a bit dishevelled?

An old Irish fella i used to know used to say about (worries or worrying) 'Give it wings', and i have ever since!

• hace 1 década

It means he who sleeps with dogs will get fleas.

Get out of the dog's bed and mix with your own kind.

• hace 1 década

Just means you've gone downhill lately.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 década

maybe they wanted to know if you've been porkin' any ugly chicks lately...

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora y obtén respuestas.